Do you know the basics of employment law?
Lawsuits and legal complaints have been exploding nationwide over the past decade. It’s important for managers to do their part to prevent legal disputes by knowing the basics of employment law. How well do you know the law? Take this quiz with Editorial Director Pat DiDomenico to find out.
1. What are the most popular types of job discrimination complaints (in order) filed by employees?
A. Age, race and disability
B. Retaliation, race and sex
C. Sex, race and retaliation
2. Say an hourly employee works overtime hours that you, his manager, have never approved. Federal law says that you:
A. Can dock the employee’s full pay for those unapproved work hours
B. Can dock only half of his pay
C. Cannot dock the employee’s pay at all
3. At what age are workers protected by the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)?
4. The law sets limits on the number of hours and types of tasks that you can assign young workers. At what age, under federal law, can employees perform any job with no limits on hours?
A. 17 years old
B. 18 years old
C. 19 years old
• True or False?
1. B: Retaliation, race and sex
2. C: Cannot dock the employee’s pay at all
3. A: 40
4. B: 18 years old