Q. It has come to my attention that one of our managers has posted his résumé on an online job board. Is it legal to ask him if he is actively looking for another job? If he is, do we have grounds to terminate him?
A. There is nothing illegal about asking that question or about terminating the manager if he is looking for work. That’s assuming you obtained the information in the normal course of business and would not be treating this manager differently than the way you have treated other employees.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Double-check all commission agreements! You could be liable for more than you think
- Firing meetings: Let workers talk; 'zip it' doesn't work
- Courts won't second-guess honest business decisions
- Sticker shock: First 'accident' in two years at Georgia plastics plant is a lawsuit