• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Employers must notify the Ohio New Hire Reporting Center (ONHRC) in the Department of Job & Family Services within 20 days of hiring or rehiring an employee.

You must provide the employee’s name, address, Social Security number, date of birth, date of hire and state of hire if your business operates in more than one state. Also, you must supply your organization’s name, address and federal employer ID number.

Caution: Employers that fail to report new hires are subject to fines up to $25 per new hire. If the state can prove that you and an employee conspired to hide the hiring from state and federal officials, you risk fines as high as $500 per employee.

Also, if an employee is paying child support and is called to active military duty, the state requires you to report the employee’s call-up to the ONHRC.

Report independent contractors

Be aware that you must also report independent contractors as new hires. The law defines a contractor as “an individual who provides services to an employer under a contract as an independent contractor and who is an individual, the sole shareholder of a corporation or the sole member of a limited liability company.”

You must report their hiring even if you don’t pay them enough to issue them an IRS Form 1099. (You can use completed Forms W-9 to report independent contractors.)

You must notify the state within 20 days of the date an independent contractor begins work under your contract. You must use his or her Social Security number even if the contractor has a federal ID, and you must notify the state each time you begin a new contract with the person.

For more information, visit Ohio’s New Hire Reporting Center at http://jfs.ohio.gov/jobs/employers/new_hire_reporting/index.stm

Excerpted from Ohio’s 10 Most Critical Employment Laws, a special bonus report available to subscribers of HR Specialist: Ohio Employment Law.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Theresa Thomas December 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I am a new subscriber to HR Specialist and our accounting department need a W-9 request form.

Can you please forward me a copy for our files.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.


Leave a Comment