The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) last month published new guidelines to help employers prepare for the flu season, which is expected to include rapid spread of the H1N1 influenza (swine flu). The CDC encourages employers to:
- Consider offering vaccinations against seasonal flu and encourage employees to be vaccinated against H1N1 flu when that vaccine is released this fall.
- Encourage sick employees to stay home or leave immediately when feeling ill.
- Post information on proper hand hygiene in restrooms.
- Clean surfaces often that have frequent hand contact.
- Make sick-leave policies more flexible for workers who may have to stay home with sick family members.
- Weigh the benefits of canceling nonessential face-to-face meetings and travel.
Read more advice and find links to the updated CDC guidance at www.theHRSpecialist.com/flu.