Does newly married worker need new W-4, I-9? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Does newly married worker need new W-4, I-9?

Get PDF file

by on
in Human Resources

Q. When an employee gets married, do we need a new W-4 to show her new name? What about a new I-9? — D.H., Pennsylvania

An employee needs to complete a new W-4 only if she changes her name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The W-4 should match the employee’s Social Security card. If the employee didn’t change her name as a result of marriage (or if she did, but didn’t formalize the change with the SSA), then the employee does not need to complete a new W-4.

Regarding the I-9, you don’t need to complete a new form unless the employee is not a U.S. citizen and her employment authorization will be expiring.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: