When an employee gets married, do we need new forms?

Q. When employees get married, do we need new W-4s to show the new name? And do we need new I-9s?

An employee needs to complete a new W-4 only if she changes her name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The W-4 should match the employee’s Social Security card.

If the employee’s name did not change as a result of marriage (or if it does, but the employee did not formalize the change with the SSA), then the employee does not need to complete a new W-4.

Unless the employee is not a U.S. citizen and her employment authorization will be expiring, you do not need her to complete a new Form I-9.