Q. I own a pizza shop. Is it legal for me to hire a 15-year-old to work in the store?
A. It depends. Until the age of 16, it is illegal for any-one to work in any job that requires cooking, baking, operating, setting up, adjusting, cleaning, oiling or repairing power-driven food slicers, grinders, food choppers, cutters or baker-type mixers.
There are also rules that affect children’s ability to make deliveries.
As long as they are not working in any of the limited prohibited occupations, you are free to employ children under age 16, subject to the following limits on their hours and days of work.
When school is in session, they cannot work:
- Between the hours of 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- For more than three hours on any school day
- More than 18 hours during any school week
When school is out of session, they cannot work:
- Between the hours of 9 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- More than 8 hours per day
- More than 40 hours per week