Here are five steps to get there:
- Realize that image counts. The way you walk, talk, carry yourself and approach someone—even the pen you carry—all say something about you.
- Know the difference between confidence and charisma. The first helps you get to know people. The second lets you lay out a big vision without coming off as a weirdo.
- Use your enthusiasm to build your team. If you’re sold on a new opportunity, your team will feel it. If you’re not, they’ll know that, too.
- Learn that it’s not about you. Your schedule, goals, commission, budget or status don’t matter. Your customers and your team do. If you’re in the game primarily for yourself, get over it.
- Become the person you’d want on your team. What’s more, become that person before you go looking for your first team member.