Family matters: Child care credits for relatives — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Family matters: Child care credits for relatives

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q. An article earlier this year advised about claiming the child care credit if you pay your parents to babysit.  We have a 14-year-old who is watching our two younger children this summer. Can we take the credit for paying her? Canton, Ohio

A. No. The dependent care credit (commonly called the “child care credit”) generally is available for qualified payments made to someone who cares for your children under age 13 while you and your spouse work. The caregiver can be a dependent, but not one under age 19. Note: The amount you pay to a qualified relative—such as a non-dependent parent or in-law—for dependent care is taxable to that person.

Related Articles...

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: