Pass tax-law test for grads — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Pass tax-law test for grads

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax

Did your child just graduate from college or high school? This may be your last chance to grab a dependency exemption.

Strategy: Make sure you provide more than half of the child’s annual support. It doesn’t matter how much the child earns from a new job.

Generally, you can’t claim a dependency exemption if the person’s taxable income exceeds the annual personal exemption amount ($3,400 for 2007). But this test doesn’t apply to children under age 19 or full-time students under age 24.

Tip: A child is considered a full-time student if he or she attended school five months in the year, even if the months aren’t consecutive.

Related Articles...

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: