Author Richard St. John says there isn’t just one secret to success, there are eight of ’em:
- Passion. We don’t mean the torrid kind, and you know that.
- Work. Find the thing that makes time fly for you.
- Focus. Tune out any task or project that’s going to break your concentration and slow you down.
- Push. Life has plenty of scary things waiting to kick you in the pants: market forces, natural disasters, even death. You don’t need to make up reasons to push yourself.
- Ideas. There’s nothing like unleashing your creativity in the service of a customer, and anybody can do it.
- Improvement. No need to rest on your laurels. Always look for ways to do a better job.
- Service. Even if you don’t have one original idea, you can still “wow” clients with spectacular attention to details: their details.
- Persistence. Don’t let anybody shut you down, whether it’s a fierce bully or a kindly mentor.