ADJUST WITHHOLDING TO REFLECT LOSSES — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+


Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: I’ve lost money in the stock market this year, so I expect to owe less tax than I did in ’05. Can I decrease the tax withholding at my job to make up some of the difference? J.G., Tuckerton, N.J.

A: Yes. You can amend your W-4 in midyear to take into account changes in your personal circumstances, including stock losses you will be claiming on Schedule D. But a word of caution: Don’t run afoul of the estimated-tax rules. The easiest way to ensure that you won’t incur a penalty is to pay at least 100 percent of your 2005 tax liability (110 percent if your AGI or 2005 exceeded $150,000). Tip: Remember that capital losses can offset only up to $3,000 of ordinary income after offsetting capital gains.

Related Articles...

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: