A HOUSE DIVIDED CANNOT SUPPORT WRITE-OFFS — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+


Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: I’m currently involved in an acrimonious divorce proceeding. Both of our attorneys are advising us to stay in the home. Since the house is in my name alone, can I claim alimony deductions for the value of this benefit? Anonymous

A: No. To count payments as tax-deductible alimony, they must be made in cash or a cash equivalent. Even worse, you can’t qualify for any alimony deductions while you and your former spouse are living in the house that you previously occupied as a married couple. It doesn’t matter if your living space is physically separated. Tip: Don’t begin making alimony payments until your soon-to-be ex-spouse has vacated the house. For more details, see IRS Publication 504, Divorced or Separated Individuals, at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf.

Related Articles...

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: