Amending return beyond three years — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Amending return beyond three years

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: In your article on amended returns, you said I have three years to file an amended return. (5/2/05 issue) But can't I technically go back even further? C.L., Holyoke, Mass.

A: Yes. You only have three years to amend your return to produce a tax refund. But if it makes sense, you might amend an older return. Let's say you neglected to claim a $10,000 net capital loss on your 2001 return filed over three years ago. By amending your 2001 return, you're entitled to carry forward $7,000 of the loss (the excess above $3,000) to offset income on your tax returns for the past three years. Tip: A capital loss carried over must be used in the first available tax year.

Related Articles...

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: