I-9 form: Feds give mixed message about which IDs you can accept — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

I-9 form: Feds give mixed message about which IDs you can accept

Get PDF file

by on
in Human Resources

When filing Employment Eligibility Verification forms (I-9s) for new hires, you may be unknowingly accepting documents that no longer are allowed.

Reason: The I-9 version that em-ployers are given and the version shown on the INS Web site list 10 different documents in List A that new employees can show you to prove both their identity and employment eligibility.

However, a "Special Instruction" section on the INS Web site says four of those documents have been removed from List A, meaning employers can't accept them to complete I-9s. The documents are:

  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (INS Form N-560 or N-561). 
  • Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570).
  • Unexpired Reentry Permit (INS Form I-327).
  • Unexpired Refugee Travel Docu-ment (INS Form I-571).

In addition, new hires may show one other document that isn't listed on the original I-9, an Employment Authorization Document (INS Form I-766).

Good news: The INS says employers won't be fined or penalized for accepting the four documents.

To see the most updated information, go to www.ins.gov/graphics/ formsfee/forms/i-9.htm. Note: The recorded message on the INS employer hotline, (800) 255-8155, also gives the same outdated information about acceptable documents.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: