To ensure that employees working on Katrina recovery projects are paid according to the law, the U.S. Labor Department has sued a Houston drywall company for Fair Labor Standards Act () violations.
Labor is seeking more than $500,000 in back wages for 500 construction workers employed by Benitez Drywall, LLC. The company allegedly misclassified employees as independent contractors and failed to pay required overtime.
The Labor Department has deployed additional investigators to the Gulf Coast region to identify FLSA violations among rebuilding projects.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- When ERISA, state law differ, disability insurance decisions can get a second look
- After AHCA, what next for health care reform?
- For new mom with very ill baby, what are our FMLA and unemployment obligations?
- New laws promise reform of N.J. workers' compensation system