If your pension plan can be misinterpreted, make sure you tell beneficiaries how you interpret it.
A federal appeals court let a worker sue who says he lost out on increased pension benefits because of the way the company interpreted its policy. He thought his disability leave counted as continuous service, but the company said only those receiving workers'were covered by the exemption for "compensable disability incurred during course of employment." (Harte v. Bethlehem Steel Corp., 98-2052, 3rd Cir., 2000)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 8 ways to trigger wellness participation
- HR as mobsters: Supreme Court lets workers use organized-Crime law to sue their employers
- How closely can we monitor contractors without creating an employment relationship?
- Nonprofit sportswear company hires single moms in need