Admin Pro Forum

Keyboard shortcuts: What are your favorites?

Question: “I’m always looking for time-savers. What are your favorite keyboard shortcuts that you use every day?” – CN

See Comments Below

Admin123 March 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I used the Microsoft ergonomic keyboard that has over 20 shortcut keys at the push of a button. Purchased from Office Depot for about $70.

Maria March 8, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I use Cntrl Y instead of F4. It repeats your last action.

KRussell February 23, 2010 at 8:52 am

All you need to do is press: print screen. I use this all the time, especially when ordering things online.

Dawn February 22, 2010 at 7:24 pm

For data entry in Excel ~ I love Ctrl+d to duplicate the previous lines data.

Alicia February 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm

You don’t have to press ctrl+alt. Simply pressing prtscn will accomplish the same thing. Or at least with Microsoft Windows.

Karen R. February 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Karen, she means the keys Shift, Enter, and the letter V. Hold them down all together.

Karen Kosmoski February 22, 2010 at 9:09 am

I have found a great program that allows you to capture one item in a screen by drawing a box around it – or any portion of a screen. Froim the editor, you can import it into Word, Powerpoint, etc. or just copy it to the clipboard to paste it into an e-mail. It has saved me so much time cropping unwanted material from the print screen command. The program is called Snagit and it costs $50 at their website or $100 for 5 licensed copies. Our entire engineering dept. uses it now. Also, if you buy a copy to use at the office, you can also login at home and use the key to load it onyour home computer.

Nirma February 21, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’m an avid short-cut user. I try to use short-cut or key combinations to do most of the things you would use your mouse for. For example:
In Excel – ALT-O (Format), R (Row)/C (Column), A (AutoFit)
– ALT-Enter to type multiple lines in same cell.
In Word & Power Point – For Bullets: to Demote Bullet ALT-Right Arrow Key; to Promote ALT-Left Arrow Key.
In Word & Outlook (the ones I use the most) – CRTL-SHIFT 0(zero): this inserts a 12 pt Spacing between paragraphs
– CTRL-M: Increase Indent; CTRL-Shift-M: Decrease Indent
– CTRL-M CRTL-Shift-T: First Line Hanging Paragraph

Stephen February 19, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I use the ShortKeys Lite program, too. Sometimes I have to enter the same paragraph, or contract section in many documents. By assigning a shortcut key to them, I can quickly move from one document to another.

Jen February 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm

You are very welcome Karen R.

Robyn February 19, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I have to put a date in an Access program and love to use the Ctrl ; (semi-colon) combination which puts the current date in an Excel cell.

Karen February 19, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Linda,
I am not into all the shortcuts, so I don’t know a lot of them, but i was wondering what the V keys are. Your shortcut sounds like it would be very helpful to me.
Karen

Linda February 19, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I use the all the time too! It’s also helpful for keeping track of error messages that pop up on your screen

Margaret February 19, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Linda,

What an awesome shortcut! I’ve never seen this one before, but it will save me huge amount of time!

Thank you!!

Karen R. February 16, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Thank you, Jen, for the alt-tab info. I am constantly working between Excel and our AP/Purchasing application, and this tip has helped me out already!

Admin123 February 15, 2010 at 10:37 am

I ordered a new keyboard from Microsoft, it is ergonomically structured and it has all of the shortcut keys on keys F1 through F12.

Ken February 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm

hands down, my favorite is a small app called Keyboard Express, where you can easily assign key combinations for whatever shortcut you want.
I have them for the things I use repeatedly such as email address, our web address, commonly used passwords, frequently used words and phrases.
It’s a huge timesaver!

Brandy February 12, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I use shortkeys lite which is a free program that lets you create your own shortcut keys and use in any program. A HUGE timesaver as I key payroll and frequently type the same keystrokes all day.

Patty February 12, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Here are some of my favourites and most used:

Ctrl+ A – to highlight entire documents (works in all applications)
Windows Key + L – locks your keyboard
Windows Key + M – minimizes everything on your screen
Ctrl + Home – to get to the top of your document
Ctrl + End – to get to the bottom of your document
Ctrl + B – to bold
Ctrl + I – to italicize
Ctrl + F – to open find

Of course, the other ones that Margaret mentions above are always used.

Have fun.

Linda Basham February 12, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I file away my emails from my contacts once read by using the Shift, Enter, V keys to pull up my Folders. Then by starting the first few letters of the folder it is right there and I hit enter.

Margaret February 12, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Some of my favorite keyboard shortcuts in Word are those that control the appearance of text like: Control+B for bold; Control+I for italics; Control+U for underline; Control+[ to decrease font size one point at a time (four points in PowerPoint); Control+] to increase font size one point at a time (four points in PowerPoint).

Also, because I love not having to take my hand off the keyboard when typing in order to do something that requires the mouse and because Microsoft keyboard shortcuts and AutoText or QuickParts often work only in certain programs I really love a little freeware program called AutoHotkey. I can create keyboard shortcuts that work anywhere, in any program. It is a great time saver.

Sandy February 12, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I have created several macros to allow for a shortcut. Some examples are to print one page in a multi-page document I press Control+Q. I like only one space after the end of a sentence and many documents come to me with two spaces. I have a macro set to take care of that.

Judy February 12, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I use these function keys frequently: F4, which repeats the last action. F5 which brings up the Go To box, to jump to page numbers, etc. F9 updates fields.

Brandy February 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm

F4 is definately a time saver for me in Microsoft Word. It repeats your last action, say your changing the font in certain areas of a document. Once you change the first section you can highlight the rest and simply use your F4 command to copy the changes.

Jen February 12, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Alt-Tab switches from one window to the next. Ctrl-C to Copy, Ctrl-V to Paste.

Darcy February 12, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Using “Ctrl, Alt, Print Scrn” copies whatever is on your screen, then you can paste it into a word document for printing. I have found this an invaluable tool for manuals.

Karen R. February 12, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Ctrl + Home to get to the beginning of any Microsoft application is probably my most used.
Also, a really cool one: press F11 in any cell in Excel within a set of data (should include column headings). You’ll get a simple bar chart.