Tighten your policy on work authorization — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Tighten your policy on work authorization

Get PDF file

by on
in Hiring,Human Resources

Three companies have recently settled federal charges of "document abuse" in hiring, with penalties totaling more than $270,000. The problem: Employers requested specific documents or asked for documents other than those listed on the Employment Eligibility Verification Form, also called the I-9.

Advice: Allow new hires to show any document from the lists below. Employees may provide a single document from List A, or one each from List B and List C.

For more details on the I-9 process, call the Justice Department employer hotline at (800) 255-8155.

List A: Identity and employment eligibility

  • U.S. passport (unexpired or expired)
  • Certificate of U.S. citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card with photo
  • Foreign passport, with stamp indicating unexpired employment authorization
  • Temporary Resident Card
  • Employment Authorization Card
  • Re-entry Permit
  • Refugee Travel Document
  • Employment Authorization Document from the INS with photo

List B: Identity

  • Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or U.S. possession with photo or identifying information such as name, date of birth, sex, height, eye color
  • ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies with photograph or identifying information
  • School photo ID card
  • Voter's registration card
  • U.S. military card or draft record
  • Military dependent's ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Canadian driver's license
  • For workers younger than 18: school record or report card; doctor or hospital record; or day care or nursery school record

List C: Employment eligibility

  • U.S. Social Security card
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the State Department
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card
  • ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States
  • Unexpired employment authorization document issued by the INS

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: