Want to get your managers to take sexual harassment claims seriously? Here's how one human resources director does it: He begins each training session by having managers list their financial assets. Then he asks them which items on that list they are willing to sacrifice.
While most federal appeals courts refuse to hold employees personally liable for discrimination under federal laws such as Title VII, state laws aren't always so forgiving. Federal laws that may include personal liability for violations include the Fair Labor Standards Act,Act, Occupational Safety and Health Act, Immigration Reform and Control Act, Employee Retire-ment Income Security Act and COBRA.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- When worker returns from FMLA leave, it's OK to assign equivalent job at different location
- Don't Allow Unlimited Sick Leave
- Warn managers: Even isolated comments about age can trigger an ADEA lawsuit
- Survey: High school grads unprepared for work