Short staffing makesdifficult. When an employee is out on medical leave, others have to pick up the slack. And there may be precious capacity to do so, given reduced labor budgets and the business imperative to do more with less.
Still, remind supervisors that they can’t push employees who are out onto perform work while on leave. They also can’t ask employees to return early from leave. Either one is just asking for legal trouble.
Instead, HR should handle all contact with employees concerning FMLA leave. The FMLA itself and the Department of Labor’s regulations contain specific guidelines. Follow them.
Concern? Or a threat?
What is the line between checking on a sick employee and harassing a sick employee to return to work early?
Terwilliger v. Howard Memorial Hospital (No. 09-CV-4055, W.D. Arkansas, 2011) draws that line in a case that concluded that the employee was entitled to present to a ...(register to read more)
- Casual comments put you on FMLA notice
- Close scrutiny after FMLA leave can spell trouble
- Changing an employee's duties may require changing his FLSA classification
- No policies, no job descriptions, no training: A case study in how not to hire & promote
- Don't wait for emergency to make flexibility routine