Q. I’ve heard there are new Fair Labor Standards Act () regulations coming. When do the final regulations updating the FLSA become effective?
A. In June 2008, the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) published a proposed rule concerning an array of FLSA issues. On April 5, 2011, the DOL published the final rule in the Federal Register, updating the regulations to conform to FLSA amendments passed in 1974, 1977, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2007.
The regulations became effective on May 5, 2011.
How do the regs affect tipped employees?Q. How do the new change the tip credit?
A. The final rule affects employers that have employees who receive tips. The regulations are now updated to reflect the increase in minimum wage. An employer can pay tipped employees less than the minimum wage as long as that amount and the employee’s tips are equal to or greater than the minimum wage.
The regulations change the m...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Understanding business structures
- How to compute overtime in unusual situations
- Local anti-bias laws may help employees--or help you get cases dismissed
- What should we do? A contract refers to both 'termination for cause' and 'at-will' employment