Two employees of Virginia-based coal supplier Alpha Natural Resources won $15,000 each for participating in an employer-sponsored wellness screening.
The organization began offering health screenings in 2006. Last year, it began offering prize money to encourage employees to participate. Everyone who volunteered for the screening was eligible to win.
The incentive prompted more than 3,300 employees and nearly 400 spouses to participate. Participation in the program has grown steadily each year.
An independent health care firm conducts the wellness screenings, and provides confidential test results only to individual participants.
President Kurt Kost said the cost of the prize is more than offset when screenings detect problems in time to prevent medical conditions from seriously affecting an employee’s health. That cuts down on treatment costs and.
Contact: Kurt Kost, (276) 739-5304.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 12 simple ways to boost your wellness program's effectiveness
- Balance FMLA and ADA rights to avoid potential trouble
- Feel free to set generous FMLA notice terms, but rely on the law if you wind up in court
- Calculate FMLA eligibility based on date leave begins