If you provide either cell phones or vehicles to your employees, lay down the law: No sending or reading text messages if you’re driving as part of your job. It’s illegal in 30 states.
Reinforce safety by placing a policy in your. When you hand out cell phones or company cars, make employees acknowledge they understand the rules by having them sign a copy of your no-texting policy.
On the horizon: Federal regulators have just proposed making it illegal for commercial truck and bus drivers to reach for, hold or dial a cell phone while operating their vehicles. The rule could be in place by the end of the year.
Online resource: Find a list of state cell phone and texting laws for drivers at www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- A 'Perfect storm' for organized labor is forming over Texas
- In tough cases, safety first: Attempted suicide at work grounds for discharge
- Employment issues to watch in Washington this year
- No money changed hands? Legal settlement still stands