With its workaday reputation, LinkedIn is still the go-to social-media site for anyone trying to ramp up a career. Here’s how to best use the web site, according to other professionals:
1. Bulk up your LinkedIn profile. More content, rather than less, will make your profile more likely to come up in searches. List major positions, as well as internships. List all your skills. Relax privacy settings, so anyone can find you.
2. Ask people to vouch for you by writing recommendations. Recommend people you know, and they’ll be inclined to return the favor.
3. Network like crazy. Regular users of LinkedIn say a common newcomer mistake is to limit his or her network.
Krista Canfield, a LinkedIn spokeswoman, says that to reap the social-networking benefits of the site, you need at least 35 connections. (Just make sure those 35 connections don’t drag down your reputation.)
Tip: Deflect unwanted invitations with the Archive button, so no one knows you rejected them.
We all need a trusted advisor to guide us through the frustrations in today's workplace and help us succeed in our careers. Supercharge Your Career is the fastest and easiest way to get on top of my career ... and stay there! Learn More...
4. Answer questions with authority and post helpful status updates. For example, Joe Rosenberg, a certified public accountant, recently posted a status update telling people about the deadline for quarterly taxes. By answering questions about tax matters, he estimates he’s received $10,000 to $15,000 in new business.
5. Join groups to hear about cool events for your industry or for the admin profession. Joanna Wiseberg, who launched a stylish handbag business, joined more than a dozen groups related to her field and participated in discussions on them. Wiseberg says the connections allowed others in the industry to discover her and invite her to events in Europe, North America and Asia.
— Adapted from “The Social Network That Gets Down to Business,” Miguel Helft, The New York Times.
Supercharge Your Career contains dozens of helpful tips from the one source that’s guaranteed to be useful to you: your peers in the administrative professional world. We bring you their best advice, tips and strategies on some of the most vexing challenges you’ve faced, like how to:
Get your copy today!
- Master office technology so it doesn’t master you
- Save time and get more done with efficiency tips that actually work
- Stop work from slipping through the cracks
- Keep your boss organized, on time and thankful for making him look good
- Take on more responsibility without burning the midnight oil
- Learn when it’s okay to ask for a raise … and when it’s not
- Discover ways to keep important files and documents from “disappearing”
- Prepare your office for a successful relocation
- Handle nosy co-workers and difficult executives
- Create a fail-safe office supply system to keep everyone happy
- And many more!
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Tip Card: Business Management Daily's Favorite Keyboard Shortcuts
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette
- Make quicker, better decisions
- An hour-by-hour guide to a perfect workday
- Take steps to reduce your liability for co-Worker retaliation
- Request help without looking silly