Q. We’re looking to hire a few new workers. What is the least amount we need to pay them?
A. Effective July 1, the Illinois minimum wage increased to $8.25 per hour for adult workers, $1 per hour more than the federal minimum wage.
New employees and those under the age of 18 may be paid up to 50 cents less per hour. Accordingly, employers may pay $7.75 per hour to new employees (for the first 90 days of their employment) and employees under the age of 18.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- The EEOC's new initiatives for 2008: All talk … or a real threat?
- Must we pay severance to employee who turned down telecommuting offer?
- Is it legal to claw back maternity leave pay?
- Crackdown looms for misclassifying employees as contractors