After the 9/11 attacks, claims of workplace discrimination by Muslims spiked in 2002 with 1,463 claims of bias to the EEOC. Such claims subsided to 697 by 2004. But the past two years have seen a resurgence in claims: 1,304 in 2008 and 1,490 claims last year. Figures from 2010 are not yet available.
Note: A 2010 Pew Research Center poll shows that only 30% of Americans carry a favorable view of Islam, compared with 41% in 2005.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 44 years later, huge settlement ends EEOC discrimination lawsuit
- Tampa travel agencies sued for sexually hostile workplace
- Beware class action if you pay young men more than experienced women
- It's a buyer's market: Hire the best candidates over those who meet minimum requirements