• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

How should we get medical information for certifying the need for FMLA leave?

Get PDF file

by on
in FMLA Guidelines,Human Resources

Q. Is there any help you can provide on how we should obtain medical information from employees taking FMLA leave?

A. The best place to start is with the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), which has published two forms for health care providers to certify the need for FMLA leave:

  • WH-380-E (for an employee’s own serious health condition)
  • WH-380-F (for a family member’s serious health condition).

While these forms are optional, the DOL approves their use, they are available at no cost, they cover all of the permitted information and leave no room for overreaching.

In other words, if you’re not using these forms, you should be. Download the forms at www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-fmla.htm.

Leave a Comment