Q. I am a small employer with a group medical plan. If an employee takes an approved unpaid leave of absence, am I required to continue my premium subsidy during the unpaid leave? We have 22 employees and aren’t required to comply with. — W.F., Arizona
A. If you are not covered by the FMLA, no federal law would require you to continue premium subsidies during an employee’s leave. However, you should also check the applicable state law on this issue.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Can you ban workers from moonlighting during FMLA leave?
- Request for leave to care for sick relative doesn't have to be in writing
- Don't extend disciplinary periods due to FMLA or military absences
- A good deed punished: Voluntary FMLA leave can become a mandate