Friction often exists between HR and supervisors because those front-line bosses don’t fully understand your HR role … and they may hold certain stereotypes about your department.
Sure, supervisors have heard your list of do’s and don’ts (don’t discriminate, do fill out time sheets, etc.). But they may not see you as a strategic partner to their departments, and that can make it difficult to implement any new HR initiatives.
Advice: Set the stage for HR-management collaboration with an “HR for managers” meeting. Explain how key HR functions practically benefit managers and their departments.
Implement a targeted, relevant training program with your supervisors with — HR Memos to Managers: 81 Concise, Customizable Training Handouts for Your Supervisors
1. HR function: Ensuring compliance with anti-harassment and discrimination laws. Explain that compliance enhances the organization’s reputation among potential job candidates. Stress that legal claims and lawsuits hurt their department’s reputation, the company’s bottom line and their own career path. Remind them that some laws allow managers to be personally sued for their employment law mistakes.
Manager benefit: Compliance helps managers avoid impediments to career advancement, and encourages job candidates to perceive the organization as a place where they want to work.
2. HR function: Managing and tracking compensation and benefits. Explain that HR and managers should work together to make sure employees are paid at levels that are fair, consistent and in compliance with wage laws. Make sure they understand your overtime rules and current law on exemptions. Last year’s Ledbetter Fair Pay Act made this even more important because employees can now reach back many years to sue for pay bias.
Manager benefit: In addition to the legal threat, pay protests can crush morale and turnover. Work with managers to conduct annual comp and benefits reviews for each employee as part of his or her review.
This HR handbook – specially designed for supervisors – is an instant company training program. You can customize the handouts for your business, easily remove them from the HR Memos to Managers binder and distribute them to your managers. You'll also receive a Web link to the Memos for easy download. Best of all, HR Memos to Managers costs less than one hour of consulting time. Get your copy here...
3. HR function: Hiring and recruitment. Use a checklist to clarify supervisors’ roles in the recruiting, hiring and orientation process. Explain what HR will do and what bosses are expected to do. Teach them the legal do’s and don’ts of interviews. Create a formal employee referral program that encourages workers to actively seek out new staff.
Manager benefit: Supervisors are more engaged in finding and choosing employees who can contribute to the profitability of their departments.
4. HR function: Overseeing compliance with conduct, ethics and performance policies. Explain that early and ongoing communication between HR and managers is the key to preventing and resolving issues involving employee violations.
Manager benefit: Managers expedite the process of dealing with problem employees, minimizing the impact on department morale.
HR Memos to Managers contains 81 concise training handouts covering nine key areas your supervisors must be familiar with:
You’ll be able to put the Memos to use right away. The handbook includes self-tests for discussing performance problems, discovering whether you’re a micromanager, determining whether you discipline fairly and more.
- Employment law (basic training)
- Employee lawsuit risks
- Hiring and interviewing
- Performance reviews
- Coaching and motivating
- Management skills
- Managing difficult situations
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette
- Update from Sacramento: 4 new California laws will affect HR
- Hostile e-mail was grounds for firing, federal court finds
- Can we ask applicants to leave voice-mail message?
- Keep your job: 10 survival tips