What documentation do we need to hire minors as seasonal employees? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

What documentation do we need to hire minors as seasonal employees?

Get PDF file

by on
in Hiring,Human Resources

Q. We would like to hire several high school students to work in our retail store for the summer. Do we need to take any extra steps in our hiring process if we want to employ minors?

A. Yes. Except under very limited circumstances, minors under the age of 18 employed in the state of California must have a permit to work.

Typically, after an employer agrees to hire a minor, the minor obtains from his or her school a Department of Education form titled “Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit.” Both the minor and the employer must complete the form and the minor’s parent or guardian and the employer must sign it. After returning the completed and signed form to the school, school officials may issue a work permit.

The permit lists the maximum number of hours a minor may work in a day and week, the range of hours during the day that a minor may work, any occupational limitations and any additional restrictions the school specifies.

Employers must keep the work permit on file and make it available for inspection by school and labor officials at all times.

Permits are always required, even when school is not in session. During summer months or when school is not in session, work permits are available from the superintendent of the school district in which the minor resides.

Permits issued during the school year expire five days after the opening of the next succeeding school year and must be renewed.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: