Q. We may soon terminate an employee whose daughter also works here. We're uncomfortable with her daughter remaining as an employee. Can we legally terminate the daughter, as well? —R.M., Missouri
A. Nothing in your question leads us to conclude that terminating the “mother/daughter team” would violate federal law, as long as they are “at-will” employees and have no employment agreement.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Associate loses temper, job and now lawsuit against DLA Piper
- Colorado Employment Security Act
- Does your organization need insurance against employee lawsuits?
- What's the legal standard for firing an executive for behaving inappropriately?