Q. We may soon terminate an employee whose daughter also works here. We're uncomfortable with her daughter remaining as an employee. Can we legally terminate the daughter, as well? —R.M., Missouri
A. Nothing in your question leads us to conclude that terminating the “mother/daughter team” would violate federal law, as long as they are “at-will” employees and have no employment agreement.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Don't let FMLA status keep you from firing lousy employee
- After ARRA, how to handle gross misconduct and COBRA coverage
- Remind supervisors to err on the side of caution when employee claims medical emergency
- Illegal firing can cancel terms of noncompete pact