Employees who typically moonlight as sales clerks and warehouse workers to pick up extra cash for the holidays could have an especially hard time this season because so few retailers are hiring holiday help.
A Manpower survey of employers shows that just 12% expect to increase their staffs during the final quarter of this year. Businesses that do take on extra hands for the holidays have plenty of applicants to choose from.
Tip: Don’t turn away a good candidate for being overqualified for a seasonal job. Most applicants are eager for a paycheck, even if the work doesn’t require them to use their advanced skills.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Keep teens safe on the job this summer
- Measure effectiveness to make sure flex plans work for you
- Are we liable for wages we didn't pay while employee was waiting for drug test results?
- Thanks but no thanks: How to safely reject job candidates