HR is being forced to respond to an increasing number of sexual harassment claims revolving around explicit photos sent via text message, a practice known as “sexting.”
Latest case: A Hooters waitress in Florida sued, saying her manager sexually harassed her by texting explicit photos.
Lesson: Expand anti-harassment and e-mail policies to include cell phones, cameras, IMs and texts. Remind workers: If a message isn’t appropriate to send to grandma, it isn’t appropriate to send to a co-worker.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Remind managers: They may be personally liable for discrimination under obscure law
- Warn managers: No statements even remotely suggesting bias against older workers
- HR dept. of one? Groom yourself to move to a big firm
- Definition of 'work environment' just got wider--so did your risk