Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Section 179 vehicles should be a key part of your small business tax deduction strategies. Can Section 179 property fit in with your business tax strategies?

Let Business Management Daily help you get each and every rental property depreciation credit and business tax deduction you’re entitled to.

Page 48 of 168« First...102030...474849...607080...Last »
If you own U.S. Savings Bonds issued years ago—maybe you inherited them or received them as gifts from relatives—you should check the maturity dates.
Usually, you can’t deduct the cost of taking your spouse along on a business trip unless he or she is employed by the company. But that doesn’t mean you must pay the full cost out of your own pocket.

Q. Due to an expensive surgery, I’m over the medical deduction limit in 2012. Can I pay additional expenses personally instead of using my FSA? K.C., Bethesda, Md.

Q. My son, who graduated college, lost his job last year and moved back home. Can we still deduct him as a dependent?

In a new report, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration says that IRS audits have led to a substantial number of recommended adjustments to items reported on S corporation returns.
Whne Congress passed the highway bill in July, it included a provision that eases funding requirements for employer-provided “defined benefit” retirement plans, like pension plans, as well as incorporating numerous related changes.
A taxpayer in a new case, who should have known better, lost out on a charitable deduction worth millions because he did not obtain an independent appraisal of donated real estate properties.

Q. If I start a sideline self-employed business, do I still have to pay personal payroll tax if I’m over the Social Security tax wage ceiling in 2012?

Surprisingly, you may end up better off this year by having your corporation forgo a tax deduction. Strategy: Make this a “dividend year.” In other words, instead of receiving income in the form of tax-deductible wages, arrange to have the company pay out dividends to yourself.

If you need cash in a hurry and can’t afford to pay much tax, you may have more options than you think. Strategy: Consider a withdrawal from a Roth IRA. Despite the common perception, nonqualified distributions from a Roth aren’t fully taxable. In fact, they might not be taxable at all!

Page 48 of 168« First...102030...474849...607080...Last »