The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) just launched what it’s calling “a bold new audit initiative” to find and punish employers that hire illegal workers. Proof: In just one day this summer, ICE sent out more Notices of Inspection than it did in the entire year of 2008!
President Obama is pushing a major shift in immigration enforcement to focus on civil and criminal actions against employers that violate I-9 and hiring laws.
In addition, thousands of employers are now required to use the electronic E-Verify system … employers are still trying to figure out which version of the I-9 to use … and confusion still reigns over how to handle “no-match” letters.
The result: greater risk for your company, your executives … and you! Immigration-related work site arrests (including HR professionals!) have skyrocketed more than 1200% in the past five years (see chart below).
Understanding these issues will be vital for your HR compliance in 2009 and beyond. That’s why HR SPECIALIST is presenting Immigration Compliance Update 2009-2010.
Register now for this eye-opening interactive webinar on Oct. 28, hosted by immigration superlawyer Gregory Siskind. Gregory is frequently quoted in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal and is the author of the new SHRM book, The Employer’s Immigration Compliance Desk Reference.
What you’ll learn:
1. Tips for I-9 Compliance
2. Electronic I-9s
- How to legally complete the new I-9 and avoid the audit traps. Certain documents are no longer acceptable.
- How have the penalties/risks changed?
- The 10 biggest mistakes you're making with I-9 paperwork—and how to avoid them.
- How to correctly (and legally) manage your I-9 compliance in electronic format.
- Pros & cons of going electronic: Is it worth it?
- How to shop for and choose an electronic I-9 vendor.
4. Social Security "No-Match" Letters
- How the online system works.
- Is it wise to enroll now? Legal and logistical pros & cons.
- State vs. federal law compliance.
- How to comply with the new federal E-Verify rule—and who must comply (you may be surprised).
5. Immigration Reform under the Obama Administration
- Back where we began—what happened to the proposed “no-match” rule?
- How to handle mismatched Social Security numbers now.
- Outlook for reform and visa changes.
- Future and targets of enforcement crackdown.
- Why USCIS is cracking down on I-9 violators—and how you can stay clean.
Immigration-related arrests of company execs have taken off in recent years:
Source: U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement
Keep your company off this chart—and keep ICE off your doorstep! Maximize your training time at this must-listen webinar!
Editorial Director, HR Specialist
P.S. Your satisfaction is unconditionally guaranteed. If Immigration Compliance Update 2009-2010: I-9s, E-Verify, Crackdowns and the ‘Obama Effect’ fails to meet your needs in any way, we will refund 100% of your tuition—no hassles, no questions asked.