Local, state and federal agencies could have a key edge over corporate America during a recession: job security. In a CareerBuilder survey of more than 2,900 workers, 88% said they were interested in public-sector jobs. Their reasons:
Job security 21%
Training opportunities 16%
A chance to make a difference 13%
Clear career paths 11%
Flexible schedules 10%
A sense of ownership of the job 10%
On the downside, the workers said bureaucratic red tape, excessive office politics and low pay could steer them clear of government jobs.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette
- Résumés? Cover letters? You need to go deeper
- Background Check Guidelines: How to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and avoid lawsuits
- Family responsibilities discrimination poses complex quandary
- Can we ask applicants to leave voice-mail message?