Local, state and federal agencies could have a key edge over corporate America during a recession: job security. In a CareerBuilder survey of more than 2,900 workers, 88% said they were interested in public-sector jobs. Their reasons:
Job security 21%
Training opportunities 16%
A chance to make a difference 13%
Clear career paths 11%
Flexible schedules 10%
A sense of ownership of the job 10%
On the downside, the workers said bureaucratic red tape, excessive office politics and low pay could steer them clear of government jobs.
- Hiring work-release prisoners? Some aren't covered by FLSA's pay, overtime rules
- Progressive discipline: How to apply a fair, firm policy
- Are you focused on what's relevant?
- Employee didn't apply, so college couldn't have discriminated
- What is California's law concerning time off to attend school activities?