A new federal law that takes effect Nov. 8 extends eligibility for group health insurance coverage to certain dependent children over the age of 18 who are enrolled in institutions of higher education.
Specifically, “Michelle’s Law” requires continuing coverage for employees’ children who become ill and have to drop out of school to recover, thus losing their full-time student status. Under the law, group health coverage must be extended for up to one year.
Advice: Work with your carrier or broker to make sure your insurance plan complies.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- EAP hotline calls may trigger ADA, FMLA awareness
- Motivating in a void: Prevent 'survivor syndrome' in yourself and your team
- Former legal secretary says firm reneged on disability payments
- Changing benefits plans? Make transition accurate, timely