A new federal law that takes effect Nov. 8 extends eligibility for group health insurance coverage to certain dependent children over the age of 18 who are enrolled in institutions of higher education.
Specifically, “Michelle’s Law” requires continuing coverage for employees’ children who become ill and have to drop out of school to recover, thus losing their full-time student status. Under the law, group health coverage must be extended for up to one year.
Advice: Work with your carrier or broker to make sure your insurance plan complies.
- Are we on the hook for seasonal employees' unemployment compensation claims?
- How to comply with new lactation break and facility rules
- 'Gradual Return' program lets moms come back on their own schedule
- Hug or a handshake: Which does your workplace embrace?
- Nov. 4 ballot initiatives may change Colorado employment law