Quest Diagnostics is so serious about employee health that it calls the director of its wellness programs the “wellness ambassador.” The ambassador is Bill Germanakos, the 2007 season winner of NBC’s “The Biggest Loser” reality TV show.
Germanakos, who previously worked as a sales rep for Quest and lost 164 pounds on the show, oversees HealthyQuest, which helps the firm’s 41,000 eligible employees change unhealthy behaviors.
The upshot: About 3,600 employees have quit smoking, and more than 5,500 have taken a colorectal cancer screening test.
Quest, based in Madison, N.J., with clinics nationwide, now also serves more nutritious food in on-site cafeterias and vending machines, and urges employees and their partners to take risk assessments to identify health and lifestyle problems and recommend changes.
Contact: Wendy Bost, spokeswoman, at (973) 520-2800.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Motivating in a void: Prevent 'survivor syndrome' in yourself and your team
- Total-Compensation Statements: More important than ever
- HR and the bailout: Bill includes key mental health coverage
- Is your pension consultant biased? 10 questions to ask