Usually Google gets all the attention for its latest, online tools. But recently, Microsoft grabbed the headlines for adding zippy new features to Internet Explorer (IE).
Four IE (version 8) features to save admins time:
1. Organize your open web pages with colored tabs. When you’re doing research on multiple topics, and you have a slew of tabs open, IE makes it easy to see related pages by grouping them by color.
Here’s how it works: Say you open a new tab from an existing page. IE puts it directly beside the original tab, then gives both tabs the same color.
2. Do everything in the address bar. Type in what you’re looking for, and IE searches the web, previously visited web sites, Favorites and RSS feeds. A list of your search results drops down; you choose the page you want.
3. Preview before you click. Some thumbnail pictures appear beside search results, so you can recognize the perfect page before you click.
4. Search faster within pages. Say you want to find the word “myopic” within a web page. With the previous version of IE, you had to select “Find” from the menu, enter “myopic” in a pop-up window and click “find.” Too many steps.
The new version puts a search field at the top of your browser page. You type the word, and it highlights potential matches on the page as you type each character. You’d likely find your word after typing only “myo.”
With 59 Technology Tips, you'll learn how to:
Get 59 Technology Tips for the Administrative Professional now!
- Zip through email clutter with color coding, subfolders, and a freebie from Microsoft that is way faster than the standard “Find” function.
- Supercharge your computer with ingenious shortcuts for faster surfing, keeping spyware at bay and making favorite Web sites easier to find.
- Send actual screen shots instead of emailing links to web pages – it’s faster than clicking through!
- Create the best presentations in the company — so far ahead of old bullet-point slides!
- Make your cell phone work like a BlackBerry — with free services.
- And much more!
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- How to Write Meeting Minutes
- Tip Card: Business Management Daily's Favorite Keyboard Shortcuts
- Beware state law that could cost you millions
- Must you give employees Sundays off for 'TV church'?
- Responding to an office affair? Don't forget the 'fair' part
- Know your stars, Old Boys & Yammies