The federal Fair Labor Standards Act (
Even so, ignorance is no excuse for violating wage-and-hour laws. In fact, those who “bury their heads in the sand,” as one court put it, face steep penalties. Those include double damages for any wage mistakes, plus back pay for an additional year in excess of the two years of back wages that are usually due.
So, what’s a diligent HR professional to do? If you don’t face any unusual wage-and-hour issues (that is, you pay at least the minimum wage, don’t make deductions for equipment or housing and employ mostly hourly employees or who fit neatly into the exemptio...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Provide real chance to weigh signing separation agreement
- Retaining Old Org Charts: Why … and for How Long?
- Questions and answers about California's new Paid Sick Leave law
- Issues to consider before monitoring e-mail