The federal Fair Labor Standards Act (
Even so, ignorance is no excuse for violating wage-and-hour laws. In fact, those who “bury their heads in the sand,” as one court put it, face steep penalties. Those include double damages for any wage mistakes, plus back pay for an additional year in excess of the two years of back wages that are usually due.
So, what’s a diligent HR professional to do? If you don’t face any unusual wage-and-hour issues (that is, you pay at least the minimum wage, don’t make deductions for equipment or housing and employ mostly hourly employees or who fit neatly into the exemptio...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Does Minnesota's smoking ban law include employees' use of 'e-cigarettes'?
- DHS is cracking down — follow these I-9 best practices
- Management Score Card: Rating Your Supervisor
- Billie Jean's real 'Battle of the Sexes'