Q. We have some employees who are earning the maximum salary for their job classifications. Can we cut their pay if we feel they’re overpaid?
A. You can cut their pay prospectively, provided that they will still earn the minimum wage. However, watch out for morale problems if you do this.
- Changing compensation systems? Here's how to avoid age discrimination claims
- Fight unemployment benefits if employee quits because of unsubstantiated safety fears
- Benefits: 2014 tax code favors car commuting over mass transit
- Business trip injury qualifies for workers' comp
- It's legit: Use differences in location and responsibilities to justify variable pay scales