• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Disability payments and the FMLA

by on
in FMLA Guidelines,Human Resources,Office Management,Payroll Management

Q. Can we require an employee who is out on FMLA leave to use accrued paid time off if he or she is receiving disability payments? — M.C., Alabama

A.
Under the FMLA, you can’t require an employee to use accrued paid time off when he or she is receiving disability benefits unless the disability payments don’t replace 100% of salary. If they don’t, you can require an employee to “make up” the difference with paid time off.

For example, if the disability policy pays 60% of salary, you can require the employee to use paid time off to cover the remaining 40%.

Check the law in your state for any additional or different requirements.
 

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/9875/disability-payments-and-the-fmla "

Leave a Comment