Tullytown-based Meenan Oil has settled an age discrimination suit filed by 72-year-old Louis Ceccoli, who was fired and then replaced by a substantially younger worker.
Ceccoli built his case on derogatory comments his sales manager made about older workers. His complaint detailed repeated questions about when Ceccoli was going to retire, disparaging remarks about older workers and statements of the manager’s desire to replace all old workers with young ones.
Under the agreement, Ceccoli will receive $80,000. Meenan managers will undergo age discrimination training, and the court will monitor all age discrimination complaints at the company for the next three years.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- EEOC charges fall for fourth straight year
- Don't hold previous disability suit against employee who later applies for new job
- Rep. Lewis, Capitol Hill staffer settle discrimination suit
- Warn managers: Never disclose ex-employees' medical data