Tullytown-based Meenan Oil has settled an age discrimination suit filed by 72-year-old Louis Ceccoli, who was fired and then replaced by a substantially younger worker.
Ceccoli built his case on derogatory comments his sales manager made about older workers. His complaint detailed repeated questions about when Ceccoli was going to retire, disparaging remarks about older workers and statements of the manager’s desire to replace all old workers with young ones.
Under the agreement, Ceccoli will receive $80,000. Meenan managers will undergo age discrimination training, and the court will monitor all age discrimination complaints at the company for the next three years.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- EEOC says Leona's Pizzeria reneged on settlement deal
- When technological change means jobs are changing too, document the training you offer
- Document reason for termination to make sure courts don't second-guess your decision
- Employee fraternization—The kiss of discord?