Tullytown-based Meenan Oil has settled an age discrimination suit filed by 72-year-old Louis Ceccoli, who was fired and then replaced by a substantially younger worker.
Ceccoli built his case on derogatory comments his sales manager made about older workers. His complaint detailed repeated questions about when Ceccoli was going to retire, disparaging remarks about older workers and statements of the manager’s desire to replace all old workers with young ones.
Under the agreement, Ceccoli will receive $80,000. Meenan managers will undergo age discrimination training, and the court will monitor all age discrimination complaints at the company for the next three years.
- Court: Even 'Unintended Harassment' Can Be Illegal
- Strict new definition of employee 'disability' means less fear of ADA
- EEOC: Even Guardian Angel must honor settlement
- Women-hating comments, even if not sexual, can equal sexual harassment
- Use 'reasonable person' test to gauge threat of lawsuit for allegedly offensive speech