Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Appeals court: No second chance to appeal lower court's decision on retaliation damages
- Make it a policy: Civil behavior required at work
- State settles with feds over police promotion tests
- 8 steps to being an effective witness in court, depositions