Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Ensure romance rules protect against association bias
- Key EEOC lawsuit focuses on credit-check bias
- Don't let rogue supervisor destroy your solid training and promotion program
- Keep medical data private, even if new HIPAA rules don't apply