Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- Terminated employee claims discrimination? Warn managers against any sort of retaliation
- Investigate all bias claims, even reverse discrimination
- Police want info about an employee? Respond, be honest
- Race bias costs $300,000 for Malvern's Vanguard Group
- Settlement helps asthmatic nursing assistant breathe easier