Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Texas Senate considers long-shot LGBT-rights law
- Even if jobs seem quite similar, feel free to use different hiring criteria
- Harassment claim? Dragging feet creates more trouble
- 'Youth movement' comment not enough to sink dealership's case