Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- Have solid reason for termination if employee previously engaged in protected activity
- Suggesting ways to improve isn't discrimination
- Gender bias in Joslin could end company's federal contracts
- ADA: Employer gets to pick reasonable accommodation
- New Jersey's expanding the window of discrimination liability