Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- Consider settling if others can bolster individual's sex discrimination claims
- Don't ignore sexual harassment complaint
- Can you accommodate disabilities you don't know about?
- St. Paul cancer victim's case may show ADAAA's impact
- Timing of harassment in question? Check time cards to determine who could have seen what