Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- Carefully document when you acted to bring an end to supervisor sexual harassment
- Reporting suspected harassment doesn't always equal 'Protected activity'
- Employee complaining about bias? Always investigate before imposing any discipline
- Older worker pay maxed out? That's not bias
- Ex-driver puts full court press on New York Knicks center