Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- Is our affirmative action plan a Catch-22?
- Can we discipline an employee for his postings on a social networking site?
- Want to 'fire' your way out of problems with troublesome employees? Think again
- Worker sends complaint to HR? You must respond
- New ADEA regulations final--with little help for employers