Durham-based lumber and hardware retailer Talbert Builders has agreed to settle a race discrimination suit with the EEOC for $80,000. The original complaint was filed by employee James McCombs, who claimed co-workers and supervisors created a racially hostile work environment by telling racist jokes, using racial slurs and evoking derogatory stereotypes about blacks.
In addition to the monetary damages, Talbert supervisors and employees will undergo training on race-based harassment.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Prepare unified defense; ruling may spark more state suits
- Decision-Making paper trail: The best kryptonite to lawsuits
- It serves no purpose: Keep references to employees' ages out of official documents
- Comparing leave time under FMLA, ADA