• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Salvage a dependency exemption for a relative

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Common situation: You help a low-income parent, in-law or other elderly relative with his or her living expenses. Under the tax law, you can’t claim a dependency exemption ($3,650 for 2009) for that person unless you provide more than half of his or her annual support.

Strategy: Chip in a few more bucks in the second half of the year. If it pushes you over the half-support mark for 2009, you might qualify for an extra exemption.

The tax payoff may be due to a little-noticed tax break involving Social Security benefits.

Here’s how: In addition to the half-support test, you generally can’t claim a dependency exemption for a relative if his or her gross income for the year exceeds the personal exemption amount ($3,650 for 2009). This “gross income test” doesn’t apply to a child who is under age 19 or a full-time student under age 24.

But note that gross income doesn’t include amounts if income is being deferred—such as certificates of deposit (CDs) maturing next year, or tax-free income from municipal bonds or muni bond funds.

Even better: While Social Security benefits used for support count toward the half-support test, they do not count as gross income for purposes of the $3,650 ceiling.

You give 75-year-old Aunt Jill $1,000 a month ($12,000 for the year) to help her pay her bills. She is single and lives on $2,250 in taxable earnings and $10,000 of Social Security benefits. 

On these facts, you don’t qualify for a dependency exemption. However, if you give Jill just an extra $251 this year, you will provide more than half of her annual support—$12,251 to $12,250—while she still doesn’t surpass the gross income limit. Result: You’re entitled to a $3,650 exemption for Jill.

Personal exemptions are reduced for certain high-income tax taxpayers (e.g., joint filers with an AGI above $250,200 for 2009).

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/9663/salvage-a-dependency-exemption-for-a-relative "

Leave a Comment