by Casey Nolan, Esq.
Due to recent changes in the Immigration Reform and Control Act, there’s a new I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form for employers to complete when hiring employees and reverifying the employment eligibility of certain employees with temporary work authorization.
You can download the new form from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ web site: www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf.
Protection from DHS action
In the past three years, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has made workplace enforcement of immigration laws a high priority. (See Immigration crackdown targets employers—not illegal workers.) In this climate of increased immigration enforcement, making sure you have a properly completed Form I-9 for every employee is one of the best ways for you to avoid legal penalties for hiring unauthorized workers.
Form I-9 is divided into three sections. The employee com...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Hiring from the competition, how much should we ask about any noncompete agreements?
- Age taunts earn $75K for former North Richland Hills employee
- Act fast, train when sexual harassment complaints arise
- Request birth date only after conditional job offer