by Casey Nolan, Esq.
Due to recent changes in the Immigration Reform and Control Act, there’s a new I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form for employers to complete when hiring employees and reverifying the employment eligibility of certain employees with temporary work authorization.
You can download the new form from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ web site: www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf.
Protection from DHS action
In the past three years, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has made workplace enforcement of immigration laws a high priority. (See Immigration crackdown targets employers—not illegal workers.) In this climate of increased immigration enforcement, making sure you have a properly completed Form I-9 for every employee is one of the best ways for you to avoid legal penalties for hiring unauthorized workers.
Form I-9 is divided into three sections. The employee com...(register to read more)
- Irony: Houston Buick dealer faces age bias suit
- Texas employers: Getting bias cases into federal court just got a little easier
- States become key battleground in the minimum wage fight
- Choose 'firing words' carefully; stick to performance
- Personnel files: Organize your paper trail to minimize legal risks