Major railroads announced more furloughs of employees in recent days as they try to decide between getting rid of workers completely or keeping them on retainer in hope the economy will improve soon.
CSX Transportation announced recently it is furloughing 27 shop workers at Corbin, Ky.
BNSF Railway last week furloughed 100 mechanical department employees at its Alliance, Neb., shop.
CSX gave the Corbin shop workers no idea when they might be called back because the railroad’s is uncertain how long it will take for shipping demand to pick up. They were given as¬surances of four months of health benefits.
CSX has furloughed 2,400 employees and put 30,000 rail cars in storage in roughly the past year.
Some railroads – like Union Pacific – have furloughed about 10 percent of their workforce in a belief they need to be ready when demand for rail shipments picks up as soon as this year.
Others – li...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- 17 Questions to Determine if Workers are Fully Engaged
- Street Smarts: Your peers weigh in with 5 real-world comp & benefits solutions
- Texas Unemployment Compensation Act
- Pasadena local news. live from India