The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals tossed out a jury award to Sherman Jones, who sued under state age discrimination law. Reason: When Jones filed his complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, he failed to check a box that would also have sent the claim to the state equal rights agency. As a result, the court said Jones failed to exhaust his administrative remedies before going to court. (Jones v. Grinnell Corp., No. 99-10402, 5th Cir., 2001)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Small biz retirement plans: Which is best?
- Offer employees on military duty same chances for promotion other employees have
- Asian food vendor in hot water over hiring practices
- Help managers understand the Age Discrimination in Employment Act