Vacations appear to be another victim of Americans’ tight budgets and layoff fears. More than one-third of workers say they won’t use all their allotted vacation time this year, and just 39% plan to take one compete week off, says a new Expedia.com survey.
According to a separate survey by the Society for Human Resource(SHRM), seven in 10 workers say they regularly work through lunch and beyond scheduled hours (including weekends) to get work done, mainly due to self-imposed pressure to keep up.
- Convey policy changes by paper, not e-mail
- Supreme Court allows employees to sue for 401(k) losses
- Of course you have an anti-harassment policy; now make sure all your employees can use it
- Don't jump the gun on job offers; control who promises what
- Tell employees they must report sexual harassment up chain of command